The Operations Directorate has the responsibility of among others:
- i. Ensuring that all prisons nation-wide are administered according to law and managed in conformity with the United Nations Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Offenders in custody;
- ii. Ensure the maintenance of acceptable standard of activities in all prison according to their security categorization;
- iii. Ensuring proper control by setting appropriate machinery in motion for effective monitoring of inmates for enhanced security management: thwarting escapes, prevention and containment of riots and generally providing secure environment for the staff and inmates in the performance of prison duties;
- iv. Collection of statistical data for planning and research for improved service delivery;
- v. To enlighten the general public on the activities of the Service thereby enlisting their cooperation toward the reintegration of discharged inmates into the society;
- vi. The Directorate also assures security for Escort duty staff as well as the inmates they convey to courts and to other prisons;
- vii. Providing enhanced intra-service communications etc.