Our desire is to create a Correctional System in Nigeria that is able to contribute to meeting the challenges of creating a secure and peaceful Nigerian society through the implementation of humane penal programmes.
Our intention is to establish a credible Correctional Service, based on both humane custody and non-custodial excellent penal practices, which seeks lasting change in offenders’ attitudes, values and behaviour and ensures successful reintegration into society.
To ensure that all inmates have access to speedy and fair justice, to provide assistance for their reformation and rehabilitation under secure and humane conditions in accordance with universally accepted standards and to facilitate their social reintegration into society.
MANDATE/FUNCTIONS OF THE NIGERIAN CORRECTIONAL SERVICE
The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) derives its mandate from Nigerian Correctional Service Act, 2019 to perform the following functions:
- (a) Taking custody of all persons legally interned;
- (b) Providing safe, secure and humane custody for inmates;
- (c) Conveying remand persons to and from courts in motorized formations;
- (d) Identifying the existence and causes of anti-social behaviours of inmates;
- (e) Conducting risk and needs assessment aimed at developing appropriate correctional treatment methods for reformation, rehabilitation and reintegration;
- (f) Implementing reformation and rehabilitation programs to enhance the reintegration of inmates back into the society;
- (g) Initiating behaviour modification in inmates through the provision of medical, psychological, spiritual and counselling services for all offenders including violent extremists;
- (h) Empowering inmates through the deployment of educational and vocational skills training programmes, and facilitating incentives and income generation through Custodial Centres, farms and industries;
- (i) Administering Borstal and related institutions;
- (j) Providing support to facilitate the speedy disposal of cases of Awaiting Trial Persons;
- (k) Performing other functions as may be required to further the general goal and functions of the Service
- (l) Administering non-custodial measures, including community Service, probation, parole, restorative justice measures and any other none custodial measure assigned by a court of competent jurisdiction